August 28, 2008

Cavallo Point - the Lodge at the Golden Gate




This weekend we had an opportunity to visit a new hotel in Sausalito at Ft Baker just across from San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge. I wasn’t expecting to be dazzled, but I was! The Lodge is located within the historic Fort Baker which is a national park. Having grown up in San Francisco, I had been to the other side of the park that faces out to the Pacific, but I had never been to this side before. The view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the skyline of the City are wonderful. The fog came in over and through the Bridge and slid down the mountain and covered over the Bay, but when it cleared, the view was worth waiting for.

Things to do. Cavallo Point has made sure that if all you want to do is be pampered, then it is all there for you. Their Spa is world class! I enjoyed a one hour massage that was a 10! There is a steam room and an outdoor pool and and and. The service and ambience were fabulous! There are also a number of programs – each 3 to 5 days – Adventure and Well-Being, Creative Arts and Culinary Arts. Visit these links to learn more about these exceptional programs

There is a GiGANTIC parade ground that children and dogs alike were frolicking on. Yes, you can bring your dog with you to stay at Cavallo Point! Or you can go down and walk along the beach, hop their private bus to Sausalito for some world class shopping, take the ferry to San Francisco, visit the Environmental Center that is in the park or hop in your car and drive to the Napa and Sonoma Wine Country in about 30 minutes. It is a wonderful location for a hotel.

Did I mention the dining? Their restaurant, Murray Circle, is elegant and casual at the same time. The food is exceptional. Everything I ate was so tasty! I loved my hamburger that I had for lunch in the Farley Bar (named after the late Phil Frank’s comic strip character Farley). It was not your typical hamburger, that’s for sure!

We stayed in the new part of the hotel that is located up the hill. The views are wonderful and the rooms are spacious and luxurious and have a fireplace in each one (which I loved!). The bathrooms amenities included a large tub (which I also love!).

The most important feature for me is the historic buildings that have been transformed into luxury accommodations. Great beds, organic linens and large windows that look out over the Bay. Very comfortable and cozy. The buildings were preserved wonderfully for which I am grateful. I felt like I had gone back in time and yet still had all of the modern conveniences.

And it is clear that everyone who works at Cavallo Point loves their jobs. From the fellow who drove me up to my room in the golf cart to the gal who took my order for lunch, all were friendly and gave down to earth good service.

I would highly recommend this property to my friends and clients for a unique view and experience of the San Francisco Bay, Marin Headlands and Golden Gate Bridge. From the historic to the contemporary, this is a great place to unwind and relax.
To read more about this property, please go to http://www.cavallopoint.com/.

No comments: